CC Image courtesy of Luis Hernandez via Flickr.
If you just got your color done, you’ll want to keep it looking sharp as long as possible. Between salon visits, you can make sure that your color stays vibrant by following a few simple hair care rules. Our top color-lasting tips are listed below.
1. Stop washing it! If you shampoo your hair every day, you will strip your hair of oils and of that new color. Shampooing hair regularly causes color to fade. Wash your hair one to two times per month, and use dry shampoo the rest of the time to give your hair the appearance of being freshly washed.
2. Don’t go crazy with styling products. Some product contain alcohols and other ingredients that will take away color quickly. Try to use natural products for lasting color.
3. Don’t get wet! Did you know that the number one cause of fading color is exposure to water? If you don’t have to, don’t wash your hair with water every day. Keep washing to one to two times per week to keep color fresh.
4. Protect your hair from sunlight. Sure, the sun feels great, but it’s not great for your hair. Just as you protect your skin with sunscreen, make sure to protect your hair with sunscreen too. Or, wear a hat when it’s extra sunny outside.
5. Use the right shampoo and conditioner. Instead of looking for a product that’s just color safe, find a product that’s right for your hair type. If your hair is dry or damaged, you’ll want a thicker product. If your hair is oily or fine, look for something that’s lighter. But, again, keep washing to a minimum.
6. Get a professional dye job. The hair color that professionals use isn’t the same as the stuff that comes in a box, trust us! Professionals use permanent hair color, while the solution in a box is semi-permanent.
7. Stay away from alcohol-based products. Not only will these products dry out your hair, but gels and creams that are backed by alcohol tend to speed up the fading process – especially when the sun is harsh.
8. Keep your hair moisturized. Hair that’s dry and damaged doesn’t retain color as well as hair that’s healthy. Lock the moisture in to keep color on.
9. Get glazed. Ask your hair stylist to apply a glaze after you get your color done. Hair glaze will help to retain color longer.
10. Take care of you. If you practice good sun protection, wash your hair only when you need to, and make sure to eat well and stay healthy, your hair color should last longer.
Try to book your next color appointment at our spa and salon as soon as you leave the last one. This way, you can keep your hair color looking great on a regular schedule. Sometimes, the trick to making sure that your hair looks great is to add touch-ups before they are required. If you don’t want to spend that much time at a salon, check out a different technique like ombre that doesn’t require as many touchup trips. You can also ask your professional Aveda stylist about other ways to keep your hair looking fresh. Nobody knows your hair better than your colorist does, so ask for some customized tips. At Athena, we always use the best plant-based Aveda products for your hair, so you can be sure that your hair color will be healthy and shiny longer. Plus, our products are better for your hair from all angles.
Come into our hair salon today to see what we can do for you and your color. Whether you want to go from brunette to bleached out blonde or move to something more neutral, our stylists will give you the perfect consultation, cut, and color. Remember, take care of your hair in between appointments to make sure that the vibrant color you choose lasts longer.