31 Oct 2013
Caring for Your Hair While Traveling
Travel CC Photo Courtesy of Vanessa Chettleburgh
Caring for your hair while you’re on the road will take a little extra planning, since you probably won’t carry all your usual hair care products around. At the same time, you don’t want your hair to suffer while you’re gone. If that’s the case, read on for ways you can care for your hair – at home and away.
- Make a list of everything you use at home. Then, consider how many of these products are necessary enough to fit into a suitcase. For example, two or three types of gel won’t be needed; just choose the most versatile one. Cross the superfluous items off the list and focus only on the few necessities.
- Pack small versions of the items on the list. Your local hair salon may have travel-size versions available. Not only will this lessen the amount of space you need in the suitcase, but bottles smaller than three ounces will also be approved by TSA when you fly. As an alternative, invest in a few empty bottles and transfer product into them. Also leave your blow dryer at home. The hotel one might not be as nice, but it’ll definitely do the trick.
- Bring a hat that will match several outfits. This is an easy solution if you do have a bad hair day or are desperately wishing for the product you left at home. Being in a different geographic region, with different humidity levels and temperatures, can change how your hair behaves. A hat will cleverly cover any unexpected variances.
- Get a haircut from your usual stylist. A fresh cut is easier to maintain, and you might need to style it less. If you’ll be gone for a long time, consider a length that’s shorter than usual. That way, you won’t need a cut while you’re gone. If your hair does get too long, visit a local hair salon but don’t mention that you’re from out of town. Too often, a stylist will rush through the cut if he or she knows you won’t be back in.
- Be open to changing your travel routine. Perhaps you found that you never used hair accessories while you were gone, just hair ties. In that case, leave the headbands and flower clips at home. Your travel kit for hair care won’t need many revisions before it’s perfect and you can use it every time.