The combination of cold temperatures, blasting heaters and hot showers can wreak havoc on your skin during the fall and winter months. For skin to stay healthy and vibrant when the temperatures drop it’s important to maintain a skin care regimen that highlights both gentle cleansing and deep moisturizing. According to many beauty salons, the key to preserving your dewy summer skin even through the dead of winter is a combination of cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing.
1. Make sure to drink plenty of water. By keeping yourself internally moisturized and nourished you have a better chance of keeping your skin moisturized and nourished. Also, try to stay away from too much caffeine or alcohol consumption as these cause dehydration. 6 to 8 glasses of water a day are ideal and keep a source of water with you wherever you go.
2. Exfoliate once a week by using a body scrub before showering. Scrubbing your skin helps to remove dead skin cells and helps to support healthy skin. There are many salon products and body scrubs to choose from. Just make sure to choose a scrub that is paraben-free. You can also choose to make a salon quality version at home by mixing ½ cup coarse sugar with a cup of coconut oil. Spread over skin using circular motions and rinse off.
3. Avoid hot water if possible. When you combine hot water and soap, you can easily deplete your skin of their natural oils. Try to keep your shower or bath water at a lukewarm temperature and between 4 to 5 minutes long. Also, avoid bubble baths or other salon products that contain chemicals or alcohol. Try a natural or organic bath soak instead.
4. Stay moisturized by choosing a top quality moisturizing cleanser. Stick to gentle soaps made with essential oils and healthy plant extracts. Also, only wash areas with soap where perspiration and dirt accumulate including hands, feet, underarms and the groin area. Also, stay clear of deodorant soaps which are notorious for drying out skin.
5. Take extra special care of the skin on your face by booking a number of facials throughout the cold months. Beauty salons offer a number of facial treatments that will cleanse, moisturize and leave your face feeling soft and vibrant. In between facials, stick to cleansing only once a day using a gentle cream cleanser at night and apply moisturizer after cleansing. In the morning, skip the wash and just rinse your face with lukewarm water. Also consider exfoliating your face bi-weekly using a gentle scrub.
By keeping these simple tips in mind your skin will stay healthy and moisturized between facials and make you feel beautiful all fall and winter long.