CC Image courtesy of Balaji.B via Flickr.
We all love the thought of sunshine, wind in our hair, and a nice cool sea breeze, right? But, the reality is more like this: hot pavement, sweaty face, frizzy hair, and melting makeup. While you really can’t do much about sweating as you cross the street (other than take a taxi!), you can work on your makeup routine a little bit, so that things are much more bearable – at least on the outside. Here are our best tips for looking hot when it’s hot out from your favorite Fort Collins spa!
1. Get great skin. It’s never too late to start a good skincare routine, and having clear skin that’s well moisturized means that you won’t have to wear as much makeup (and you won’t have to make up excuses not to jump into that pool!). Check out some skin-saving spa services too.
2. Realize that your summer skin is different. Summer skin and winter skin are just not the same things. You may find that your summer skin is much oilier, or maybe it’s drier. Either way, you’ll have to adjust your skincare routine according to the season.
3. Moisturize. To prevent makeup from slipping and fading during those really hot days, you have to make sure that your skin is well moisturized. Coconut oil is a great way to keep moisture inside while locking everything else out.
4. Switch from liquid foundation to powder foundation (or a light BB cream). There’s no worse feeling than the thick coating of sticky makeup that a thick foundation can leave on a hot summer’s day – you’ll want to wash your face as soon as you step outside.
5. Go light on the eyes. If you aren’t wearing a waterproof mascara, you may find that your mascara melts onto the bottom half of your eyes on a really hot day (not a pretty look). An alternative to waterproof mascara is eyelash tinting.
6. Set your makeup. If you are going to brave the sun and heat with a full face of makeup, make sure that you set your makeup with powder or setting spray. There are tons of good sprays and powders on the market for this exact purpose, so choose one that appeals to you.
If you can rock that amazing skin look, skip the makeup on hot days. Or, just go with some highlighter, concealer, and mascara. A bit of color from the sun will do a lot for your complexion too, and you’ll find that you don’t need as much makeup when your skin takes on a bronzed tone (safely with sunblock, of course!). The less makeup you have to wear during the summer, the happier and less sticky you will be.
Come into Athena, your Fort Collins spa, to get a facial a few times per month, too, and we’ll make sure that your skin looks amazing – so amazing that you won’t need any heavy foundation or concealer. We also offer microdermabrasion, a treatment that will resurface your skin, so that younger and smoother skin is revealed (and this treatment does wonders with acne-prone skin too!).
The most important thing when you’re out in the summer sun is to make sure that you wear sunblock, and to remember not to layer it on too thick. Sure, those setting sprays and powders can help your makeup stay intact, but even those can feel really sticky on a very hot day. And, besides, you are beautiful enough to go without makeup, right? Come into our salon and Fort Collins spa today or call us to get more information about any of our spa services.
Got any summer skin questions? Just ask!