08 Jul 2013
Tips for Choosing Your Best Hair Color
55% of women color their hair, and spend an average of $330 on their hair color each year. Women know that since their hair frames their faces, great hair can have a huge positive impact on their overall appearance. Coloring your hair is an investment in your appearance that you want to put some thought into every time you make the decision! Here are a couple hair salon secrets for choosing a color for your hair, brought to you by the hair experts at Athena, your favorite Windsor hair salon:
- Know your skin type. The easiest way to determine your skin type is to consider your eye color. If your eyes are very dark brown, gray blue, dark blue, or hazel with white, blue or gray flecks, then you have a cool skin tone. If your eyes are golden brown, green, turquoise or hazel with gold or brown flecks, you have a warm skin tone.
- Keep your hair tones the same as your skin tone. If you have a warm skin tone, use a warm tone for your hair, and vice-versa. Your best hair color will look great with you skin, so the better you know your skin type, the easier it will be for you to choose a hair color.
- Remember your natural color. Your best dyed hair color will be within two shades of your natural hair color. The closer the dyed color is to your own, the less frequently you will have to touch up your roots.
- Consider your age. Softer colors look better as we age, whereas the extreme hair colors (platinum blonde and very dark black) will bring out imperfections in the skin. If your hair is not the color it was when you were young, consider staying within two levels of your current hair color rather than the color you were when you were young.
- If you are certain that you would like to make a big change, you can still stay within the warm/cool tone of your natural hair color. In this case, it would be best to have your color done at a professional hair salon and to discuss the best shades for your skin tone with your stylist. The stylist will be able to tell you what has worked for people with similar skin to yours, and what highlights you might be able to add so the color won’t be too harsh.
If in doubt, don’t waste your investment on a chance! Consult your hair salon experts at the Athena Windsor hair salon to make sure that your decision will flatter your skin tone and leave you looking healthy and gorgeous!
Helga Weber via Compfight