14 Jul 2015
Ways to Make Your Color Last Longer
Sometimes you just can’t make it to the salon for a while. But that doesn’t mean that you have to deal with mile wide roots and lots of grey hairs. There are ways to extend your color as much as possible, so that you can go on looking amazing until you have the time to visit the salon once again. Take a look at these top tips for extending your hair color from your Athena stylists.
- Use a color safe shampoo. It might seem like a good idea to buy that discount shampoo and make it work, but your color will fade a lot faster. Choose a quality shampoo that really works with your color, and watch how the life of your color is extended quickly.
- Don’t drench your hair in hot water. Some salons offer a cold water rinse, and they do so for a very good reason. Hot water can scorch your hair causing your color to fade. So, stick with cooler water in order to make your color last longer.
- Think about installing a water filter attachment in your shower, so that you can filter out things like chlorine and other chemicals that might make your color fade. These attachments are on the cheap side, and you can find them at any hardware store.
- Don’t shampoo your hair every day. Doing so will strip your hair of its natural oils, which will cause your color to fade. Instead, shampoo every few days to preserve color longer.
- Cut back on the number of styling tools that you use. Heat can cause damage to your hair, but it can also strip your hair of color. If you are going to style your hair with heat tools regularly, use a heat protecting spray on your hair first, so that you can lock in that color properly.
- Try not to use a ton of products in your hair. Excessive products can cause build-up, and this can lead to hair that’s lifeless and dull. Once you have a lot of product in your hair, the only way to get it out is to wash it – and this brings us back to the “don’t wash your hair every day” rule.
- Make sure to get your hair cut regularly. If you have medium-length hair or short hair, you should be getting those split ends trimmed every four to six weeks. If your hair is longer, don’t wait more than six weeks. Split ends can cause color to look faded while also causing your hair to look unkempt. Try booking a standing appointment at your salon for every six weeks. This way when it’s busy, you can simply arrive at your regularly scheduled appointment.
- Try the coconut oil remedy. Coconut oil can do wonders when it comes to keeping your hair hydrated. Simply mix some oil into your hair, let it soak for a long time, and then rinse it out. You may find that your hair looks a bit greasy for a day or two, but it will eventually soak up all that oil leaving you with lovely locks.
Ask Us for More Tips
When you visit your Athena stylist, ask about additional things that you can do to make sure that your hair color lasts and looks great for a long time. Stylists understand that you can’t always make it to the salon, so they will be more than happy to give you some ideas on how you can extend the life of your hair. Plus, we’re happy to help! Whether you have bleached hair or brightly colored hair, keeping your color longer is simply a matter of a few simple adjustments.